Sunday, February 19, 2012

Teton Madness

   
     Every now and then, an adventure of such awesomeness and glee takes place that the adventurer is forced to reevaluate his goals and ideals. A week ago, I returned from one such trip. My first trip to the Tetons was at once rich, thought-provoking, and exhausting. I will be sure to be return soon.

Prospector Falls (the white flow in the middle-left area)
     Jackson Hole had been on my hit list for longer than I would have liked. I made the journey north with five days vacation from work and with the intent of skiing and climbing my ass off. An old friend offered to let me sleep on her couch, and I was on my way.
     My first day was spent exploring nearby Death Canyon, in search of an elusive ice dragon named 'Prospector's Falls.' This two pitch climb is located within an ice-choked chute right next to the famous ski descent, the 'Apocalypse Coliour.' The falls are a two or three pitch climb, rated at WI3+. My goal was to ski close to the base of the climb and get a good visual. Visibility was bad, and it was snowing hard, and Prospector's Falls was choked with spindrift. Although I was not able to climb it on this trip, I will be sure to send it upon my return.

coming up the boot-pack on Mt. Glory, Teton Pass

from the summit of Mt. Glory
     I spent my second day taking a few laps on Mt. Glory at Teton Pass, and shredding in-bounds at the Jackson Hole resort. I was keen to bring both my skis and snowboard along for the trip. My mom has long told me a tale of how she rode Teton Pass in college under the light of the full moon on a trip to Jackson from Calgary in her college years. I wanted to check out the pass for myself, and set my sights on cruising along the bootpack up to Mt. Glory, sitting just to the north of the top of the past. It was fun to continue the family tradition, although this time under the fire-orb.
     After the pass, I spent the afternoon in-bounds upon my snowboard. It was my first time on the stick this season, and it felt like dancing on sunshine. Many winter enthusiasts resign to enjoy only one form of over-snow travel, but I believe there is more enjoyment in doing a little bit of everything. The afternoon was clear, and the snow was good.
     Riding chairs make a good break does, but the other mountainous expanses beckon...
chumming it up in-bounds at Jackson Hole resort

Our query on day 3. Shadow Peak is the lower summit on the left. Nez Perce peak lies above.
Elizabeth and Nick bombed the chute riding down from the notch upon the face, a coliour called 'The Sliver'. (zoom in for a better view).
     It snowed for near the entire time of my visit. Although I had planned on doing some climbing, the skiing was impossible to ignore. On my third day, I went on a tour with my friends below Nez Perce peak. The weather was socked in when we left town, but my friends were eager to make an attempt on 'The Sliver,' a chute which darts from a notch upon the ridgeline of Nez Perce. My plan was to skin up the 4000 feet to reach Shadow Peak, scope the chute, and decide to continue up, or enjoy the finest tree skiing in fresh pow pow all the way back to the car. The chute was a little steep for me and my skis; maybe next season. Infact, my ass was thoroughly kicked before I reached the true summit of the objective. Despite my exhaustion, I still enjoyed 4000 feet of trees on the way down. Remember to eat a full breakfast, kids.

     When it came time for me to leave, I found that I didn't want to. The Tetons posed many a good challenge. I will surely have to return soon, if for no other reason than to bag Prospector's Falls and the Sliver... maybe on my board next time.
      The challenges never cease. Even as we crush our objectives, others rise in this distance, taller, scarier and even more imposing. But with axe-in-hand and ski-on-boot, these routes too, shall go in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment