Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Loch Vale Ski Tour


   Here are some photos from my ski tour up to Loch Vale in Rocky Mountain National Park last friday, the 9th of December. I was on skis to scope out some new terrain. The Park reveals many mysteries and challenges to the willing, but one must work for it. The Loch Vale area is known for its epic alpine rock climbs and a number desperate high altitude ice climbs. It is sure to become a regular destination for my alpine pursuits.

Here is a map showing Loch Vale. My ski tour followed the orange path.
The blue triangle is the location of  the Loch Vale ice climbing that I wrote about in last week's post.
Click for a larger view.


some short formations on the way through the winter cutoff


some windblown snow formations upon the Loch, looking SE

looking deeper NW toward the Cathededral Spires


The alpine legend, Deep Freeze, (the tiny ice runnel) first climbed by
John Long in 1989, looking to be in decent conditions.
I think I'll save this one for next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment